For those of you embarking on the “Dry January” challenge, there’s no need to suffer boring and uninspired beverages. Being healthy doesn’t have to taste dull and we can prove it with these 3 tasty non alcoholic cocktails that will tickle your tastebuds this month! Head over to the Bar & Grill at Dolphin Square and enjoy a delicious menu of mocktails, or try these easy to follow recipes at home.
Coconut Lavender Lemonade Recipe
1 1/2 cups fresh squeezed lemon juice, from about 9 lemons
1 3/4 cups sugar
8 cups coconut water
4 cups water
1/2 recipe Lavender Simple Syrup
- Place lemon juice, sugar, coconut water, and water into a pitcher and shake or stir vigorously until all the sugar is dissolved. I prefer to shake because it aerates the lemonade and makes a nice head on top.
- Pour 1/2 of the lavender syrup into the pitcher and stir. You can add more or less lavender syrup to your personal taste. I personally find that 1/2 of the lavender syrup recipe is a good balance.
Watermelon Lemonade With Kiwi Splash
4 kiwifruit, peeled and cut into fourths
1 tablespoon sugar
8 cups cubed seedless watermelon
2 cans (12 ounces each) frozen lemonade concentrate
4 cups water
- Place kiwifruit and sugar in blender. Cover and blend on medium speed just until smooth. Freeze 1 to 2 hours or until firm.
- Place watermelon in a blender or food processor (blender will be full until blended). Cover and blend on medium speed until smooth. Place frozen lemonade concentrate and water in large pitcher. Add watermelon mixture; mix well.
- Pour watermelon lemonade into glasses. Spoon dollop of frozen kiwifruit on top. Serve immediately.
Elderflower, lemon & vanilla cordial
1kg caster sugar
2 unwaxed organic lemons, halved, plus a strip of peel
1 vanilla pod, seeds reserved
1 tbsp citric acid powder or vitamin C powder
about 40 fresh elderflowers, shaken free of bugs, lightly rinsed
- Fill a large pan with 2 litres water. Add the sugar, lemons, vanilla pod and powder, and bring slowly to the boil. Boil rapidly until the mixture has reduced by half, then remove from the heat.
- Add the elderflowers to the pan and stir gently. Leave to cool completely, then pass through a sieve lined with muslin into another clean pan. Whisk in the vanilla seeds and store the cordial in sterilised bottles with a strip of peel and the vanilla pod added (see tips below). To make a refreshing drink, use 1 part cordial to 5 parts iced water.